Monday, June 25, 2007

Thanks for the offer

After all this time searching for a job I've finally gotten an offer. . . . and I've turned it down. I really did consider accepting it. I found a pre-school for my son, worked out arrangements with family for my daughter, I even negotiated for additional money and for a flexible schedule and then I turned it down.

I was discussing all the benefits of this job with my husband--better insurance, great retirement plan, opportunities for travel, tuition reimbursement, etc. Bob just sat there not saying a word and finally I said "Don't you have anything to say? What do you think about this job?" He looked at me and said, "Do whatever makes you happy." I said "But what do you think? Does this sound like a good fit for me & for our family?" Then he asked the question that made me really stop and think "If you take this job are you going to be back in this same spot a year from now? Are you going to be unhappy again and looking for something else all over? Are you going to be stuck in an job that doesn't provide you with the sense of accomplishment and fullfillment that you are looking for? Are you settling for a job now because you think I'm pressuring you to get one? Are you still going to be wishing for that dream job that you don't have?"

OK, he actually only asked the first question which led me to ask myself all the other questions. I knew I would be settling if I took that job and I was amazed that my husband knew it too.

So now I have a plan to go after a dream I've had for several years, I'm going to teach. I'm applying to substitute teach for now and I'm applying for a teacher certification program at MSU. Since I already have my Bachelors I can apply some of my coursework toward my certification to save time and money. I'm hoping to get into the accelerated program which will allow me to get my Masters degree at the same time.

It's going to be hard to go back to school at age 33 and begin a whole new career but I really believe it's never too late to chase your dreams.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Congratulations! ;)

...roseykrh said...

That's awesome! You'll do fine, I went back to school at 32 and no one noticed my age but me.