Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A day to remember

I don't remember much about my brother. I wish I could remember what his favorite movie was, what his favorite song was or any other useless bit of trivia about him. You would think that I could remember more than I do. I was 21 years old when he died, he was 24.

What I do remember is his sense of humor. He had this crazy laugh and would make the silliest faces. I have one picture of him with this crazy look on his face at one of his birthday party's and it is my favorite picture. That is the picture that helps me remember him. I also remember he used to love the song "My future's so Bright I've gotta wear Shades" I think of him when I hear that song.

I wish he was still here so he could meet my son. My son reminds me of him when he laughs. He has the same wide-mouth laugh. My brother would have loved him. In my mind I can picture the two of them together and laughing. That is a picture I wish I could take.

It's heartbreaking to think that my brother never met my husband or either of my children. The three most important people in my life will never get a chance to meet the one person who shared my entire childhood with me. So many times I've wished I could pick up the phone to call him and say "remember the time. . . . . . . "

I hate that we never had the chance to be friends as adults.

1 comment:

...roseykrh said...

I remember that he never outgrew his love of 80's music. When I lived with him he used to drive me crazy listening to Hall & Oates, when I wanted to hear Pearl Jam and No Doubt.

I also remember that when he had his old white chevy s-10 with all the speakers in the back he played "Cars that go boom" by L'Trimm constantly. But who knows if that was his favorite song, or just his favorite way to show off his bass.

I'm sure he is wathching you, your husband and your kids and smiling and laughing right along with you.