Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Panera Surprise

OK, let me start by saying this is the FOURTH time I've had to type this post. The first two times I accidentally deleted it after a couple of sentences and then once I had finally typed the whole thing in and clicked on publish post I got an error that blogger was down!!! FRUSTRATION!!!!!!!

Ok, that's over. I actually want to share an exciting thing that happened to me today at an otherwise boring time of day. I went to lunch with a friend from work and she suggested Panera Bread. We went to a location near the hospital that I actually have never gone to. While ordering my sandwich and giving my very specific instructions for toppings someone behind the counter started mocking me a bit and said "you obviously haven't been to Panera in a long time. . we don't have sprouts anymore" normally I would have ignored this person or made some smart remark but her voice made me actually look at her and Oh my goodness it was one of my best friends from high school! I was so excited that I screamed and ran over to her and gave her a big 'ol hug, completely forgetting to finish ordering my food. I haven't seen Carrie in 6 years so it was so cool to randomly see her at a restaurant I never go to. Last I knew she was living in St Louis, but it turns out she moved back her a few years ago and didn't know my new last name (marriage and all that) so couldn't get in touch. Crazy huh? Of course we exchanged email/phone numbers and hopefully we can get together very soon. I don't know if we have anything in common anymore but it'll be fun to find out! Bob has kept in touch with so many of his friends from high school and I have not. When I went away to college I kept in touch with a few of them but over the years I've lost touch with all of my closest friends. It'd be so great to have friends around again who new me before I was just some body's mommy/wife/employee etc. Also it'll be fun to be able to say "remember that time when. . . . . " I've been thinking a lot about family and friends since Grandpa died last week. I realized how much I've missed out on over the years by not being as close with my family. I hope that I can do a better job of maintaining relationships in my life that really matter.

No comments: