Monday, September 17, 2007

The wise lady at the table

I've been getting called a couple a days a week to substititue and it's going really well. I've taught kindergarten, high school and 6th grade. So far I've liked 6th grade the best which is good because that is the age-range I'm planning to become certified in.
I had to go for an orientation training for another district last week and it was really very informative so I'm glad that I went. I did have a bit of an eye-opening experience while there. There were four of us sitting at the table listening to a gal go over all the instructions for the paperwork in our packet. We had to fill out w-4's, emergency contact info and the like. I breezed through it pretty quickly and waited for the next step of the orientation. While I sat there the girl across from me (early 20's I'd guess) looked at me and asked me a couple of questions about how to fill out her form. I answered her. Then the gal sitting next to her (also early 20's) asked me a couple of questions about what the instructor had said. I answered her. Then the guy sitting beside me (maybe mid 20's) asked me more questions about the forms and about our next instructions. Once again I answered him. It occured to me then that I was the most experienced (i.e. oldest) person at the table. These college-age students were looking to me for advice because they could tell just by looking at me that I was way older and therefore had probably done this kinda thing a time or two. As I've said before my age doesn't bother me, not at all. But I have to admit it is a bit of a shock to realize people look at me and instantly know that I'm not young. I wish I could see what others see when they look at me. My sister-in-law was looking at pictures of me from a few years ago and she made the comment "Boy you sure do look a lot different than you used to." I laughed and asked if that was a good thing, she didn't respond. A good friend of mine turned 30 today and I had to give her a bit of grief as she did to me 3 years ago. I welcomed her to the club of 30-somethings and she responded "thanks, but you're still closer to 40 than I am." I'm not concerned about turning 40 however, I might start investing in some good anti-aging cream.

3 comments:

...roseykrh said...

I think you look great! And I'm glad to hear you are not someone who worries about your age. I don't either. That must come from our Grandma who still acts like she is in her 30's. I am too young at heart and act too young to even worry about my physical age.

Lola said...

That is so true about Grandma! I hope I have the energy she has when I'm her age!

Scott said...

I don't currently have the energy she has at her age. :)